Sauna: what it is and why it is so good for body and mind
Let’s find out together what are the many benefits of the steam bath, a real cure-all.
Sauna is a thousand-year-old well-being practice that offers numerous health and wellness benefits. Created by Nordic cultures, it has over time become a widespread practice all over the world thanks to its many positive effects.
It dates back over 2000 years when the Finnic tribes of northern Europe first employed this method to purify mind and body.
Over the centuries, Sauna has attracted other cultures, including Scandinavians, Russians and Japanese.
During a session, the properties of “hydro thermotherapy” are employed, i.e. the effects of water in the form of steam and heat.
A sauna takes place inside a cabin, usually made of wood, in which the body is engulfed by high temperatures and a substantial percentage of humidity.
In traditional saunas, steam is produced by pouring water over hot stones placed on a brazier.
It is, therefore, a sort of “steam bath”, which exploits important benefits such as, for example, intense sweating, skin purification, elimination of toxins, improvement of circulation and relaxation of stress and emotional tension.
However, as with any spa practice, it is important to follow the directions and consult a doctor before starting a regular sauna routine, particularly if you have pre-existing conditions.
It should also be remembered that the well-known Turkish bath is also part of the saunas family and can be defined as a “wet sauna”: however, it differs from the actual sauna for temperature, humidity and therapeutic indications.
10 undisputed benefits of Sauna
Here are the main benefits of the sauna:
- Detoxification: entering the sauna, the body is subjected to abundant sweating that favours the elimination of toxins and heavy metals through the skin. Such natural detoxification helps to improve the health of the epidermis and promotes a feeling of freshness.
- Muscle relaxation: Exposure to the heat of the sauna promotes relaxation of the muscles, relieving tension and stiffness. It is particularly recommended for those suffering from muscle and joint pain.
- Improved blood circulation: The sauna stimulates blood circulation thanks to the increase in body temperature, thus promoting the transport of nutrients and oxygen to all parts of the body.
- Benefits for the respiratory system: Heat helps open the airways and can be beneficial for people with respiratory problems, such as colds or flu.
- Stress and anxiety: The sauna is a great solution to reduce stress and anxiety. Exposure to heat stimulates the release of endorphins, also known as “happiness hormones,” which improve overall mood.
- Skin purification: The sweat produced during the sauna helps to clear the pores of the skin, removing impurities and bacteria and giving a more radiant appearance.
- Improved sleep: Regular sessions in the sauna can help mitigate insomnia problems and improve the quality of sleep, contributing to a deeper and more regenerating rest.
- Stimulation of the immune system: Exposing yourself to heat can activate the immune system, making it more resistant to infections.
- Increased flexibility: The relaxing effect of heat facilitates flexibility and elasticity of muscles and joints.
- Promotion of general well-being: The sauna offers an experience of deep relaxation, reduces mental tension and improves the overall quality of life.
Enjoy the sauna at Palazzo Doglio in the heart of Cagliari
Palazzo Doglio, a 5-star luxury hotel in the heart of Cagliari where you can spend an unforgettable holiday discovering the Sardinian capital and its surroundings in maximum comfort, offers its guests exclusive cutting-edge treatments for body and mind well-being at the Doglio Club, an absolute temple of wellness at 360 degrees. It boasts a whirlpool in the heated pool, the Turkish bath and of course the sauna.
The Wellness Program, lasting 120 minutes and costing 50.00 euros, is structured as follows:
- Exclusive heated swimming pool with whirlpools directed to various parts of the body, from the soles of the feet to the abdominals, to the backs. Water movement and pressure energetically and sensorially stimulate various body areas enhancing the effect of lightness and relaxation
- Fitness Room
- Turkish bath
- Relaxation area with herbal teas.
Would you like to enjoy the benefits of the sauna at the Doglio Club and experience a holiday full of elegance and charm? Book a stay at Palazzo Doglio in Cagliari