Properties and benefits of clay, an all-natural product
The properties and benefits of clay are innumerable and particularly useful in dermocosmetics.
Clay is a natural material, derived from the runoff of rocks containing minerals and composed of a mixture of aluminum-silicate substances. Within it are elements such as silicon, aluminum, iron, calcium, titanium, sodium, potassium, magnesium and manganese. Because of its many properties, it is used in various fields. One of these is dermocosmetics, which deals with beauty and skin care using cosmetic products containing functional active ingredients. Let’s find out what are the properties and benefits of clay.
The properties and benefits of clay for the skin
One of the defining aspects of clay is its texture. It is extremely spreadable and malleable, which is why it has been widely used since ancient times for the preparation of face masks and compresses. Also from ancient times, the anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties of clay are well known. In fact, artifacts have been found testifying to its use even as a remedy for sunburns and burns.
Current modern dermocosmetics confirms these properties. In this field, clays (plural, because there are different types) are widely used for detoxifying, moisturizing, soothing, anti-inflammatory and anti-acne masks and compresses.
Here are all the main properties and benefits of clay for the skin.
- Emulsifying and pseudo-plastic properties-The spreadability and malleability makes it widely used in cosmetics for stabilizing emulsions.
- Cleansing/detoxifying properties – Once moistened with water, clay acts as a detergent. In fact, before the invention of soap it was used for cleansing the face and hands. It removes impurities from the skin without producing foam. Once applied to the skin as a compress or mask, the clay slowly dries, capturing impurities. So it cleanses and detoxifies.
- Emollient properties – By reducing the evaporation of water from the epidermis, clay indirectly moisturizes the skin. At the same time, it promotes the penetration of active substances into the tissues.
- Covering properties-Clay is used in make-up products with a covering action, such as foundations, powders, etc.
- Antiseptic and healing properties – In cases of itching, sunburn, sores and cracked skin, clay is an excellent natural remedy. Degreasing clays, rich in magnesium and calcium, are preferable for this purpose. Their action heals sores and promotes faster healing of the injury. Also worth mentioning is the disinfectant effect for intimate hygiene, especially for women.
- Deodorizing properties – Clay is a remedy against excessive sweating of the feet and the resulting unpleasant odor.
- Anti-wrinkle properties – Clay can be used in a mask or compress to combat wrinkles and improve the appearance of mature and dehydrated skin.
- Exfoliating properties – In mask form, clay aids in the removal of skin blemishes and minor imperfections. It has mild smoothing and exfoliating virtues.
Doglio Club’s clay treatments
Doglio Club is the corner of wellness at Palazzo Doglio. Following the Mindfulness philosophy, each of its treatments focuses on the balance between mind and body. The location is ideal for finding peace, serenity and devoting time to oneself. Doglio Club offers all-natural treatment methods for exceptional physical and mental results, thanks to its holistic approach (from the Greek όλος, olos, meaning “totality”).
Relaxing the mind and pampering one’s body are moments of freedom that everyone deserves. And one of the most soothing and rejuvenating treatments is with clay. Doglio Club’s Purifying Clay Wrap has detoxifying power, especially when combined with the power of Myrtle oil and its balsamic, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties due to the large amount of vitamin C.
The calming compress and the harmonious scalp massage stimulate the skin, leaving it pure and hydrated. It is a relaxing and invigorating experience, thanks in part to the use of essences of cypress, juniper and rosemary. The total duration of the treatment is 50 minutes, for a total cost of 120 euros.
The Doglio Club’s Wellness & Beauty area is open daily from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. To make reservations, call +39 070-64-64-156 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you want to discover Doglio Club’s exclusive treatments and experience a vacation of charm and elegance? Book a stay at Palazzo Doglio in Cagliari.