MICE events: the advantages of Business Tourism
The categories, benefits and organisation of corporate events.
In the hospitality business, an important role is played by “MICE” events, a term that indicates the acronym “Meeting, Incentive, Conferences, Exhibition“.
Used in the business environment, MICE summarises all the activities and trips related to corporate life: these are, in most cases, congresses, conferences and conventions and training events for professionals.
Although they are quite similar to each other, in practice they differ in some aspects in terms of organisation and structure: conferences do not take place regularly, while congresses are usually events that are held with a predetermined frequency, for example, once a year such as medical congresses.
Conferences, on the other hand, have a shorter duration and are characterised by a difference in role between the speaker and the audience. In any case, however, they all fall into the category of “Business Tourism”, tourism for users who share the same interests, objectives or professions.
MICE events: the types, the advantages and how they are organised
MICE events, which have become increasingly important for companies, can be divided into the following sectors:
- Business meetings are organised by companies to share information, news and solutions among colleagues or collaborators. This includes boards of directors, seminars, meetings with customers, partners and suppliers, as well as brainstorming sessions in which to review ideas related to a particular “agenda”;
- Conferences in which the discussion focuses on a specific subject, generally for educational purposes;
- Reward trips are offered to employees and collaborators upon reaching or exceeding a pre-established goal. They are usually short company trips and reward stays, alongside team-building activities, in exclusive locations to offer memorable experiences and cement cohesion with the brand and among colleagues;
- Fairs to show the public products, services and news, are perfect for companies that aim to make themselves known and reach new customers.
MICE events bring gains to companies, either in terms of productivity or money. In particular, they facilitate the company in the promotion of services and/or products, in increasing demand, in cultural, professional and social growth, and in improving well-being in the workplace.
As far as society is concerned, the advantages are the promotion of tourism and enhancement of territories, the contribution of money to service companies and accommodation facilities, new jobs and the promotion of off-season tourism.
The ideal location to organize events of this type is certainly a hotel in order to provide overnight stays in the same structure as the event.
They usually also boast specialised facilities such as business centres and trade fairs, especially for large-scale MICE events, which however do not have overnight service. Lately, the use of beautiful locations such as ancient farmhouses, historical sites, art galleries, and factories is also spreading. While they are really impressive for the guest, they require more preparation time and transport of the necessary equipment.
As with any event, a dedicated budget must be established in advance.
The expenditures to consider are:
- Number of participants: with or without participation fee?
- Location Rental: for how many days?
- Means of transport available to guests (if any)
- Compensation for organisers, technicians, hostesses and stewards.
Palazzo Doglio in Cagliari: an exclusive location for meetings and events
The complexity of a MICE event requires the utmost care and planning so that everything takes place at its best, starting, as mentioned, from the choice of the most suitable location.
In the heart of Cagliari, in Vico Logudoro, Palazzo Doglio, with its lively internal courtyard, Congress Centre and its Theatre within walking distance is an exclusive reference point for the organisation of congresses and conferences as well as home to a large number of prominent cultural events.
The Congress Centre boasts 4 rooms for corporate events, business meetings, team building and congresses.
The rooms have a capacity of up to one thousand participants and are equipped with innovative and cutting-edge technologies and a large space of 170 square meters dedicated to the exhibition.
Also available to MICE customers is the adjacent Teatro Doglio, a redeveloped and modernised historic location.
Would you like to organize a MICE event full of elegance and charm? Discover Palazzo Doglio in Cagliari