Luna Rossa Cagliari: the first appointment of the 36th America’s Cup
There is a strong connection between Sardinia and sport, this comes across with the history of Cagliari football and the excitement behind the next sail boat event in occasion of the America’s Cup World Series, looked forward by many sailing passionates. The Luna Rossa event in Cagliari will be from the 23rd to the 26th of April 2020.
An exiting event on an island surrounded by one of the most beautiful seas in the world, set in the heart of the Mediterranean: Luna Rossa in Cagliari will initiate the ACWS circuit, acronym of the America’s Cup World Series, next April 2020.
The race divided into three parts, will start at the port of the ancient town of Casteddu. Alongside the Luna Rosa Prada Pirelli Team, it will include Emirates Team New Zeland, American Magic, Ineos Team UK and Stars and Stripes Team USA, conducting the first generation of AC75, the high performance “flying” monohulls. Sailing fans can cheer for their favorite team and watch the competition from a close by booking their seat in one of the spectator boats departing from the Villaggio Regate, where there will also be installed high definition maxi-screens.
The Villaggio Regate will be inaugurated on the 22nd of April, before the beggining of the regattas, in via Roma and will be open every day from 10.00 to 21.00 until the end of the competition. The village has free access and offers all kinds of entertainment for families. Let’s now discover together some of the many activities for admirers and interested people in sailing and the sea:
- The team’s AC75 in show: the public can observe from a close one of the teams AC75 which will participate in the ACWS.
- Dock Out Show: is a live show involving experts and sailors before the boats are lowered in to the sea.
- AC75 simulator: fans can put them selves to the test and experience being a skipper in America’s Cup, driving a AC75 as it flies over the water because of the foil, an attachment under the boat which helps lift the vehicle from the water and allows it to maximize speed.
- AC75 on show: the perfect occasion to see all revolutionary speedboats from America’s cup 36.
- America’s Cup E-Sport Live: a live competition between the finalists of the America’s Cup video game.
- America’s Cup 36 Store: a store where you can buy clothing and merchandise of the teams participating in the event.
- Attitude Ocean: an activity which will allow visitors to explore the wonders of the ocean and learn how to protect them.
- Luxury food and beverage: visitors can choose and reserve a table at the restaurant or at the Champagne Mumm Bar.
- Playground for children: an area where the little ones can play and have fun in total safety.
The America’s Cup World Sardinia Series are the perfect occasion for discovering Cagliari and it’s surrounding, allow yourself to be conquered by the extraordinary landscapes and naturalistic beauty, artistically, historically and culturally rich area with a priceless culture in food and wine, recipes perfectly balances between tradition and contemporary trends.
Luna Rossa Cagliari: the new monohull and the story behind a legend
Just three months are missing until the America’s Cup World Sardinia Series, the countdown has started for sailing fans.
The Italian boat participating in the 36th America’s Cup, presented by Prada, is the new full-foiling monohull AC75, built by Persico Marine. The boat has two carbon sliding keels so to support a maximum weight of 27 tons. 7.000 square meters of carbon fiber and 400 square meters of bee hive were used to build it. The most important characteristic of the AC75 monohull is the “soft wing”, a system made of two parallel hoisted mainsails which hold the controls for shaping the sail in between.
The black with a red streak, 22,6 meter long monohull was launched in Cagliari on the 2nd of October 2019, the event was attended by godmother Miuccia Prada and her husband Patricio Bertelli, President of the Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team, Marco Tronchetti Provera, Pirelli CEO, co-title sponsor team Luna Rosa and partner in technological development, Agostino Randazzo, President of the Circolo Della Vela Sicilia, and his eminence Monsignor Arrigo Miglio, Archbishop of Cagliari.
The story behind Luna Rosa began some years ago, one summer evening under the large reddish moon, during a dinner attended also by Patrizio Bertelli and Miuccia Prada, organized on the Tirli hills, near Punta Ala, a fraction of the municipality of Castiglione Della Pescaia in province of Grosseto. It was the Italian designer and entrepreneur herself revealing the mystery behind the name of Luna Rossa, which was chosen to contrast the New Zeland boat Black Magic, main champion in the 90s.
Miuccia also explained it was only after having chosen the name of their boat that they remembered the famous Neapolitan song Luna Rosa. The song dating back to 1950, was re-elaborated with a modern approach by songwriter Renzo Arbore and was the soundtrack of Luna Rosa ITA-45 in 2000.