Christmas markets in Cagliari: why they are worth visiting
The twelfth month of the calendar is also the most magical, December is a moment in which towns are covered in lights and colors, the streets are filled with music and fragrances, and the Christmas markets in Cagliari are something shopping lovers simply must not miss.
The Christmas markets in Cagliari are the ideal place to find original gifts and local produce. Illuminations, Christmas choirs, children’s shows and wine and food events transform the city with its’ millennial history, into a unique and suggestive spectacle.
To know more about the origin of Christmas markets we need to go back to the XVI century when gatherings know as Market of Saint Nicklaus were famous in Germany and Alsace. According to a document dated 1434, the first Christmas market called Striezelmarkt was organized in Dresden, after the Protestant Reformation in XVI which abolished the cult of saints, it was renamed Christkindlmarkt.
The oldest Christmas markets known to us include that of Strasbourg, initiated in 1570 and of Nuremberg, in 1628. In Italy, this tradition is quite recent and the one in Bolzano, Trentino Alto Adige, was the first in 1990.
The Christmas markets in Cagliari make the legendary city even more mysterious. Thousands of travelers from all over the island and the world have an extra occasion to discover artisanal delicacies and genuine flavors of Sardinian creativity, a land rich of natural beauty, history, and art.
Christmas markets in Cagliari: dates not to miss
December has a magical atmosphere and the Christmas markets in Cagliari, set up in various parts of the city, are the perfect occasion to buy some gifts or to be conquered by the flavors and fragrances of Sardinian specialties.
Markets and more, here is the calendar of Christmas events programmed in the Sardinian capital during December and January.
- From the 1st December 2019 to the 6th January 2020 – Christmas markets in Piazza Yenne
- From the 1st of December 2019 to the 6th of January 2020 – Christmas markets in Piazza del Carmine
- From the 1st of December 2019 to the 6th of January 2020 – Christmas markets in Piazza San Michele
- Christmas fair and Father Christmas Village 2019, every weekend from the 6th to the 23rd of December 2019 – viale Diaz 221
- Christmas creative fantasy market from the 6th to the 8th of December 2019 – Exma, via S. Lucifero 71
- Creative Corner Market – Christmas Edition from the 14th to the 23rd of December 2019 – Lazzaretto Sant’Elia, via dei Navigatori 1
- Tipicità in the covered walkway of the bastion of Saint Remy from the 19th to the 23rd December 2019
- Santa’s little helpers party, 13th December 2019 – via Campidano 24
- XMAS show, collective show, 14th December 2019 – viale La Plaia 15
- Christmas party at home “Friends”, 15th December 2019 – via Giudice Chiano 37